This isn’t, strictly speaking, about wine at all, but I need somewhere to keep my list of places I want to eat. To get here, somewhere needs to be personally recommended to me twice, or once by someone extremely trustworthy, or I need a good review. It’ll start small, and grow…
In no particular order
- Vrisaki – allegedly London’s best Greek food, promisingly situated (if you like restaurants that are quirkily situated) near Wood Green tube. N22 8LZ, 020 8889 8760 UPDATE Ate here recently with Rob, sharing the mixed meze – enormous, and generally good, but not brilliant. If I go again, I’ll order what I want rather than take what I’m given.
- Mangal 1 Ocakbasi – good, cheap Turkish grill in Stoke Newington, BYOB with no corkage, E8 2DJ, 020 7275 8981
- Cafe Anglais – in Queensway, very well reviewed when it opened (and still), W2 4DB
- Tayyabs – More grilled meat, this time Pakistani cuisine, BYOB with no (or cheap) corkage, no reservations, Spitalfieldsish – E1 1JU, www.tayyabs.co.uk
- Giaconda Dining Room – great reviews when it opened but when I wanted to go the chef had fallen off his bike and broken his arm. Seems inexpensive for what it is, near Tottenham Court Road. WC2H 8LS, 020 7240 3334
- Dinings, Marylebone – allegedly top-notch Japanese at decent prices, W1H 4HH, 020 7723 0666
- Terroirs – food and wine gaff that nobody has anything bad to say about, near Charing Cross station, WC2N 4DW, 020 7036 0660
That is all.