I’ve got loads of exciting white wines at the moment, but I’ve got a problem with reds. I’ve suffered in the past from deciding that I like one and buying a few of them, and as a result I’ve got a few bottles of wines that I’ve already had too many of. I’m thinking Maycas del Limari Reserve Shiraz and, most glaringly of all, a Berberana Etiqueta Negra Rioja Reserva, which I must have bought a year and a half ago and still can’t get through. I must learn that there are lots and lots of exciting wine and there’s no need to get more than a couple of bottles of any of them unless it’s something genuinely exceptional. But then, there are moments when having a stock of your favourite wines comes in handy. For example, I was emailed last week by the man who owns the winery that produced the EOS Petite Sirah that I blogged about a few months ago, thanking me for a positive write-up. So I opened another bottle and, thankfully, it’s still excellent. A meaty, mighty beast that’s really good to crack open every now and then. Sometimes familiarity is what you’re looking for after all.
- @KellandWines Thanks for noticing. All fine. Been in a bit of a winefunk but feeling my way back 1 week ago
- Sunday night in with a 2006 Domaine de la Janasse CdR Terre d'Argile. Crackingly delicious Southern Rhone action, and fabulous value 1 week ago
- Pol Roger NV is half price at @Ocado if you've got a smart pass subscription thingy. Rude not to etc https://t.co/AVJ8pNOml0 5 months ago
- Just recorded a wine-related pilot podcast with @misterhsk. Had a lot of fun doing it – hope it gets the nod from the big boss! 9 months ago
- (very) post-lunch @TheGermanGym update: food fine, portions generous, prices sensible, building great, location amazing. Will return. 9 months ago